Search This Blog

Tuesday, December 9, 2014

Project No.2: Noses Everywhere!?


Letterform

Objective: This project is designed to help us understand shapes and also the relationship between negative and positive spaces. We are to design a black and white pattern using one of our name initials so that the negative and positive spaces will be interchangeable.

Progress: I decided to choose my first name initial (G) for this since in Vietnam, we don't really care about last names :D (You learn something new everyday). For this project, we are told to make a stencil for our initial design then use that to create our pattern. The key point here is to design the letter in a way that at least  3 sides of the letter go off the page (this makes sure that the letters will meet and make a continuous design). So I went straight ahead and created my stencil:


Such a waste of fancy paper, right? But ah well /nobigdeal

I didn't really have much arrangement options for this stencil aside from rotation and reflection. I didn't really do sketches for this one though since I felt like I already got it in the bag. I just went ahead with the reflection pattern style & as you can see the result is noses everywhere lol. It just came out naturally, I didn't plan it to be so at all but I'll take it /wahaha

Thoughts and Feelings: I wished I didn't rush this artwork too much. After I was done with the piece, I sketched out what it would look like if it was rotational and it turned out really cool:


Anyway, aside from that I think this is a really funny artwork of mine. Not the best but it's not bad so yeah :) The only complaint I have was that I got deducted 25% off because I forgot it at the dorm and was 5 minutes late when turning it in after running for my life back and forth to get it. (ignore me)

So what are your thoughts? :)

No comments:

Post a Comment